The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Nanjing commonly known as Shigu Road Cathedral to the locals, is a late 19th-century church that serves as the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Nanking. It is located in the downtown area of the city at 112 Shigu Road.
The first church in Nanjing was established by the Italian Jesuit and one of the first missionaries to China, Matteo Ricci, in 1599, on one of the three occasions that he came to Nanjing. He bought up a private residence on the west side of the city at a place called Luosi Zhuanwan, and with some minor modifications it was soon a centre of religious activities.
First built in 1870 during the Qing dynasty, it was later severely damaged during the Northern Expedition War and had to be rebuilt by the Chinese government in 1928. Since the 1930s it has served as the cathedral for the Archdiocese of Nanjing and is the only Catholic church within the city of Nanjing today. In 1982 it was also listed as a Jiangsu Provincial Historic Site.
Add: No.112 Shigu Rd., Baixia Dis., Nanjing, Jiangsu
Tel：+86 25 8470 6863